We recommend you book a car rental through a trusted agency to make your travel and trip to Germany easier, especially if you are planning on covering more than two destinations.
Europcar, if you don’t already know, is a French rental company that offers car rental services in more than 100 countries across the world including Hamburg which lies in the North of Germany and is one of the three main cities.
In this guide, we will talk about a list of places where you can/should book a car rental in Hamburg via Europcar. We will also share how you can book those rental vehicles, and give you some useful advice on driving and renting a car along with the important things that should be noted. Let’s not waste another minute and get right into it!
Which are the areas in Hamburg where a tourist can/should rent a car?
There are many areas from where tourists can book a car rental in Hamburg, such as offices at the airport, city centre, etc. Here are some of the most common places where they can book a car rental in Hamburg:
- Most foreigners prefer to pick up and drop off a rental car at the airport.
- It can also be done at other locations like train stations, international hotels, and car rental agency offices in cities.
- They can pick up the rental car at one location and drop it off at another location altogether, without having to return to the place where you picked it up initially.
Note: this comes at an extra fee so do confirm with your agency before booking.
- They can travel between destinations like Berlin and Warsaw, Hamburg and Copenhagen, Frankfurt and Paris, and Munich and Salzburg without any struggle.
- They can go to Berlin (also known as the unusual capital), Munich- the largest city in southern Germany, Hamburg- a proud port city with ancient practices and traditions, Frankfurt- known for its financial muscle, Leipzig- one of the prime destinations of former East Germany.
Apart from these, they will also need a car when they travel to the surrounding countryside or off-the-beaten-path locations.
Some of the best and cheap car rentals in Hamburg include:
- Europcar (a well-known international car rental company)
Sixt (a German rental car company)
- Avis (Global car rental company)
- Enterprise (car rental in Hamburg)
- Buchbinder (a local rental company in Germany)
How to rent a car in Hamburg?
A thorough research and planning is required before booking a car rental in Hamburg.
You can book these services in both modes- online and offline by visiting any nearby office that is accustomed to serving both national and international travelers.
You will need the following documents ready before booking a car rental in Hamburg:
-A valid driver’s license from your home country. If you don’t have it, carry an IDP (International Driving Permit) with you.
-A valid passport
-A valid National ID card
-A credit card, in the primary driver’s name, to be submitted to the agency
– There is a minimum age requirement to book a rental car in Hamburg, ranging from 21 to 70+.
What are some important things that I should keep in mind while renting a car in Hamburg?
Beware of their local rules and regulations for driving. Understand the country’s system of driving and parking. Take care of the speed breaker limit, road signs, etc.
- Familiarize yourself with the most common German road signs before you visit the country.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents that we have mentioned above.
- Do compare the prices of all car rental companies. Check for any ongoing promotional offers, coupons, and codes.
- You can opt for local agencies rather than going for international chains if you want to save on the cost. It is a plus if you make a reservation in advance.
- If you want to book a rental car from or to the airport, consider putting the location of the airport to avoid high airport fees.
- Being flexible with the dates, timings, and type of car will lead to cost savings.
- Confirm the insurance coverage that is being provided by the car rental agency. Ask if there are any hidden charges. Go for additional insurance coverage so that you are protected.
- Do go through the policies of the car rental in Hamburg- look out for any hidden charges. Avoid them if possible. Do keep in mind the extra fees that are charged in Hamburg by rental agencies, such as one-way rental fees if you plan on dropping the car off at a completely different location.
- Even though most of the car rental agencies in Hamburg have staff who speak English, it is advisable to have at least a basic understanding of the German language for communication purposes during the process of booking any services.
- Car rental in Hamburg may either ask you to return the car with a full tank or charge you for a full tank at the start and expect you to return it empty.
Now that you know everything related to renting a car in Hamburg, you can take steps to book one online. As we stated earlier, Europcar is a trustworthy source from where you can book a car rental in Hamburg. For more information, visit OGlooks or the official website of Europcar.