The internet’s growing obsession with Rosemary water for hair is insane. Tiktok hits claim that Rosemary water can work wonders for your hair. In fact some have also been incorporating Rosemary essential oil in their shampoo to grow luscious hair. In this blog OGLooks will discover if Rosemary water for hair is really worth all the hype it has been getting and how it really works.
What is Rosemary and Rosemary water for hair?
The Rosemary plant is considered a cognitive enhancer that can help improve memory. It is also known to increase attention, intelligence and concentration. It is also known for its stress-relieving properties, which can be helpful for people suffering from chronic anxiety or stress-related hormonal imbalances.
The herb contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that stimulate hair growth and reduce hair loss. It also helps reduce scalp inflammation. Moreover, it even helps stimulate blood supply to the hair follicles and strengthen the hair. It can help with other hair issues such as split ends and bring dandruff under control.
Michelle F. Henry, MD says that Rosemary water is simply the herb steeped in water which results in a tonic water that people use to strengthen their hair.
How to make Rosemary water for hair
To make Rosemary water, you would need the following things:
- 5 Rosemary sprigs
- About 2 cups of distilled water
- Spray Bottle
Following are the steps that show how to make Rosemary water:
- Cut about five branches from the plant, each about 6 inches long. Depending on your desired strength, you can use more or less Rosemary.
- Lightly rinse the Rosemary to remove any impurities and place it in a pot of water. If the water does not cover the branches, add more until the branches are all covered.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until you notice the water turning yellow-green, which is normal.
- If you prefer a stronger formula, you can simmer for an hour or two. In this case, keep an eye on the pan and add more water if it boils too much.
- After boiling, remove the pot from the heat and let the Rosemary macerate for 30 minutes. Over time, the water becomes darker and pinker. If you want more heat, you can continue to steep the Rosemary as you would with boiling until it has completely cooled.
- Filter the mixture and pour it into a spray bottle. Grab a colander and an extra bowl, preferably with a spout for later use, and strain out the Rosemary and any debris that may have spilled out during cooking. If necessary, repeat the process until only infused water remains.
How to use Rosemary water for hair
Mixing with shampoo
You can mix the infused water with your shampoo and use that to wash your hair. It is usually not recommended to mix any other product with any chemical properties with shampoo, but using Rosemary water will work wonders on your hair. You get the goodness of Rosemary as well as get your hair clean and hydrated.
2. Rosemary water for hair as a hairspray
You can easily use Rosemary water as a spray everyday. It is safe for your head and will not weigh it down.
3. Scalp massage
Rosemary water for hair can also be applied to your scalp directly to revitalize the tissues. If you have a dry scalp, it is recommended to use an accompaniment that will moisturize your scalp, like jojoba oil. In fact Rosemary water can also be left in your hair overnight for an added shine and luster
Who should not use Rosemary water for hair?
While Rosemary water has little to no side effects, it is always recommended to do a patch test before applying it to your hair. A patch test will help you determine whether you have any allergies to Rosemary water and will prevent it from spreading across the entirety of your scalp.
Further, anyone who is on medicines for hair growth or undergoing hair transplant is advised to not use Rosemary water without the careful supervision of your doctor or healthcare expert.
Best Rosemary infused hair care products
Dr. Hauschka Hair shampoo
This magical hair shampoo is a wonderful blend of neem, Rosemary and quince which gently cleans your roots and your length. The addition of chickpea extract nourishes the hair and makes sure it is easy to comb through. The goodness of Rosemary water also gives it the needed luster.
Aromatica Rosemary Scalp 3-in-1 Treatment
This 3-in-1 treatment has glycerin and 5 types of hyaluronic acid present in it which provides hydrative to dull and frizzy hair. The hydrolyzed proteins and the presence of Rosemary and ginger gives you deep care while the caffeine ensures that your hair is not brittle.
Weleda Rosemary Invigorating hair serum
This vegan hair serum gives you a moisturizing and firming effect upon application. The revitalizing tonic with Rosemary oil and valuable sedum leaf and horseradish extracts improves the nutrient supply to the hair follicles, reduces hair loss and promotes natural hair growth.
Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying
The Aveda shampoo consists of 97% natural ingredients with added micelles and white vinegar that cleanses gently and thoroughly. The refreshing aroma of Rosemary, peppermint and spearmint from certified organic farming invigorates the senses and improves concentration. The micelles gently remove product residue and other impurities without altering the natural balance of the scalp and hair.
Rosemary water has minimal side effects which makes it a great addition to your hair care routine. Mix it with a carrier and see the magic happen after regular usage. But remember to consult a hair specialist before introducing anything foreign to your scalp. You can easily find the products that OGLooks recommends on Flaconi which always has premium quality products for you to use.